Tuesday 14 May 2013

Of Hantaran List

I am staying true to my words in the previous post, it's time for Hantaran post.

Me and my partner, we actually are quite firm on our decision on our wedding gifts. In simpler words, we know what we want. But not our parents. For instance, we gotta scratch the word "electronic gadget" from our list but what to do, gadget won't last long (but so do high heels, Ma) :(

Ours will be 7 vs 9 trays. Lesser is better for me but I won't settle at 5 since sah2 satu kena tolak for sirih, another one for duit hantaran/mas kahwin/cincin, nanti tinggal 3. Tamak disitu ye.

Mine to him would be:
1. Watch. (He wants a couple watch for us, but choices are limited)
2. A ring. (I'm sorry hun, it won't be Cartier :p)
3. Sejadah .
4. Kain songket (I never ever thought he wants this but he prefers something he can use over and over again and somehow I feel proud of this decision).
5. Belt + wallet
6. Cake.
7. Shoes
8. Perfume
9. Sirih

From him to me:
1. Watch
2. Ring.
3. Telekung
4. Handbag
5. Cake
6. Perfume
7. Sirih

The list looks simple however, we have to tweak here and there. My partner comes from Sarawak, so somebody suggested a woven cloth as a symbolic, as it is very rare and it should be our heirloom. But I'm shaking my head as I write this post, because I don't know what to do with such piece of cloth. And the partner is not an Iban, he has nothing to do with pua kumbu.

And another person suggested to have hantaran serba satu, means a complete set of jewellery. Reason being is the price of gold these days is quite ok, and it shall be something I can keep, with value. Even when I don't like yellow gold.

Ok you see, the last 2 paragraphs are contradicting themselves. Between gold and cloth, which one will have better value? Which one could be the family heirloom? It's pretty obvious, ain't it but guess what, Ma wants both. And I'm losing this battle in trying to explain and reject the idea. Pity my partner has to spend and find such pieces.

Another thing, I want the jewellery set to be displayed elegantly on the tray. So I'm looking for a practical, elegant-looking jewellery box now. I heard Hatton Garden is The place to search one.

So what about your hantaran? Pretty similar with my list I think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment